National Cinnamon Research Station and Training Center
National Cinnamon Research and Training Center, Palolpitiya, Thihagoda 81280, Sri Lanka.
Tel: +94 41 2245407, +94 41 5673931
Fax: +94 41 2245407
National Cinnamon Research and Training Center (NCR&TC) (under Department of Export Agriculture) is the only Research Station on Cinnamon in Sri Lanka and Statutory Responsibilities for Research and Development on all aspects of Cinnamon Cultivation and Processing for the Benefit of the Cinnamon Industry.
OUR VISION: “Excellence in Providing High Quality Scientific Technologies to Cinnamon Industry.”
OUR MISSION : “Planning and Implementation of an appropriate Research, Development & training programmes with the prime objective of earning more foreign exchange through enhancement of quality of Cinnamon for sustainable development of economic and social standards of all the stakeholders of Cinnamon sector while ensuring the safeguards to environment
- Divisions of the Institute
- Agronomy and Crop Improvement
- Soil and Plant Nutrition
- Plant Protection
- Post-harvest Technology
- On-going Research fields under the divisions
Agronomy and Crop Improvement Division
- Agronomy and crop improvement division is focused on introducing good agronomic practices and developing superior quality cultivars and planting material fulfilling the consumer preference and demand in the local and international markets.
- To improve productivity in Cinnamon plantations, we work on advancement of nursery management practices and producing good quality planting material by seeds and vegetative propagation.
- We also work on
- Enhancement of good agronomic practices minimizing soil erosion and land degradation to protect the natural environment.
- Collection, conservation and evaluation of the germplasm of true Cinnamon
- Feasibility studies on alternative nursery pots for Cinnamon
- Feasibility studies on nutrient addition plan for nursery pots
- Physiological disorders such as formation of sandy texture in bark tissues that can be impact on quality and quantity of the production.
- Feasible intercropping systems with cinnamon.
Soil and Plant Nutrition Division
- Improving soil fertility and developing an integrated nutrient management systems for cinnamon by using inorganic and organic fertilizers in order to reduce cost for fertilizer.
- To develop a user friendly system to issue site specific fertilizer recommendations for cinnamon growing soils in wet zone.
- Development of methods for formulation of low cost and efficient nursery potting mixtures using biofilm-biofertlizer and bio-organic materials
- Improving soil fertility by introducing various cover crops and their soil fertility relation to increase cinnamon productivity
- Studies towards enhancing nutrient availability with soil amendments
- Identification of major and minor soil related constraints linked with low productivity and finding solutions
- Identification of visible indicators of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume) to monitor major and minor soil nutrient deficiencies.
Plant Protection Division
- Conduct experimentation on major pests (vertebrates, invertebrates) diseases & weeds on cinnamon: their biology, bionomics, yield loss and management.
- Carried out pest management researches with minimal usage of agrochemicals
- Conduct researches on crop health based pest management
- Perform researches for post-harvest pest management
- Carried out researches on soil invertebrates activities on cinnamon ecosystem
- Researches with pest management with using pheromone and antagonistic microorganisms
- Use holistic and site specific (precision agriculture) approaches in cinnamon pest management
- Germplasm screening for resistant varieties
- Studies related to major fungal diseases of Cinnamon; Rough bark disease and White root disease
- Studies related to major pests of Cinnamon; Wood boring moth and Cinnamon thrips
- Studies on canker incidences of Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume)
Post-Harvest Technology Division
- Identify harvesting practices for increasing bark and oil yield
- To improve the quality and hygienic condition of cinnamon processing
- Post-harvest handling and increasing storage life
- Value addition for cinnamon and product development
- Post-harvest pest control
- Screening of medical property in Cinnamon
- Studies on packaging of cinnamon
- Study on quality and quantity variation of true cinnamon in different Agro-ecological regions
- Study the quality of cinnamon quills at three levels in value chain after primary processing
- Feasibility studies on mechanical harvesting of Cinnamon
- Proximate and nutrient analysis of selected accessions of True Cinnamon
- Brief description on Cinnamon Training Center
It was established in May 2012 under National Cinnamon Research Station (NTR&TC) in order to conduct training programs for cinnamon processing and cultivation paying special attention on cinnamon technician (peeler) training expecting to overcome the peeler shortage an acute problem of cinnamon industry.
Currently ten different training programmes are conducting in NCR&TC as follows
|Core Training Programs||Cause duration|
|TU C1||Cinnamon processing under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)||5 day|
|TU C1||Management of cinnamon lands with good Agricultural practices (GAP)||2 day|
|TU C3||Basic awareness programme for cinnamon industry||1 day|
|Training Programs Conducted on Demand|
|TU D1||Cinnamon nursery management & seed storage||1 day|
|TU D2||Production of organic cinnamon with Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)||1 day|
|TU D3||Management of pest & disease in cinnamon||1 day|
|TU D4||Management soil & nutrients in cinnamon cultivation||1 day|
|TU D5||Cinnamon value addition and marketing||1 day|
|TU D6||Cinnamon entrepreneurship development programme||1 day|
|TU D7||Basic awareness programme for management of small scale cinnamon cultivation||1 day|
Services providing by the research station
- Supply of quality Cinnamon seeds and planting materials
- Advisory services to solve field problems of Cinnamon farmers
- Analytical services with special charges for Soil, Oil quantity and Quality
- Training programs for all aspects of Cinnamon
- Provide site– specific recommendation for Cinnamon
- Visit Cinnamon field fields with pest and disease attacks and giving remedies to solve their problems
- Inspection of Cinnamon nurseries
- Introduction of new post-harvest technologies to Cinnamon industry
- Investigation of soil and soil fertility problems in cinnamon lands reported from directly by farmers and extensionists and giving remedies
- Dissemination of technology through conducting awareness training programs for farmers, growers, students, government and private sector workers and officers
- Establishment of bilateral research linkages among universities by undertaking undergraduate short term and long term research projects
- Investigation on land suitability for cinnamon new planting specially in non-traditional areas
- Assistance for the recommendation in plant certification
- Implementation of researches for undergraduate students, postgraduate students and diploma holders to fulfillment of their degree of diploma programme.
- List of regular and other training programs & training program time table of the year
|MONTH||TRAINING PRO.||NUMBER OF TARGAT TRAINEES||TOTAL|
For all types of training programs anyone interested, can apply by sending the completed application.